Thursday, July 8, 2010

Whats on Your Shelf: Mike?

For todays installment of On Your Shelf, we are lucky enough to get a participant from all the way across the world- Russia! Michael and his wife Karen are a career missionaries working in Nizhny Novgorod. I had the privilege of meeting them while I was over there, and they are a blessing. 

Check out Mike and Karen McDonald's blog HERE for some awesome updates about their ministry in Russia.

Whats on Your Shelf?


Kindle, Nook, or iPad? What do you think of e-readers?

Sony Ebook Reader – I like the Sony, it has it limitations, but it is nice to be able to carry one hundred books at a time – good for long Russian train rides.  The Nook gets bad revues.  Ipad is too big, Kindle looks awkward.  I used to own an RCA eBook reader – it was a first generation eBook reader.  The company was purchased by a bigger group, they then managed to bankrupt the company.  The reader was really well designed.  If they brought it back with “E-ink” technology I would buy it in a second.

Where do you most like to read? Anywhere
When? - Anytime

Favorite genre of literature?  History, apocalyptic novels (non-Christian), alternative history I will read the history of anything. Missionary bios and Methodist church history. I am trying to learn to read books that I don’t agree with, it helps me to see things from a broader perspective.

Best novel you’ve read? I really liked Exodus and Mila 18 by Leon Uris, but really how do you decide upon a favorite novel – I really don’t read a lot of what many readers consider “great”.

Most influential book in your life outside the Bible?  “God’s Smuggler” the book that sent me to Russia, and “God’s Guerrillas” (out of print) introduced me to missions and the need in Europe

Who are some of your favorite writers?
I actually don’t think in terms of favorite writers – it really depends upon the genre.

What makes their writing great?  See above

Do you have any “pet peeves” about writing?  Writers who say the same thing over and over again


Reading habits? (e.g., Pen in hand? Coffee? Diet Coke? Music playing?)   Coffee if possible, or something cold preferably Coke Lite

Elephant ear or bookmark?  Never, never, never turn down the page of a book – I do highlite in some books

Approximately how many volumes are in your personal library?  Several thousand. Most are packed in boxes.  I have probably given away or sold 1000 or more over the years.

Favorite children’s book?  The Runaway Bunny

Favorite library you’ve ever visited?  I find libraries overwhelming – to many books, to many choices.

No comments: