Thursday, September 23, 2010

The lone Biking Viking

A few weeks ago I acquired a brand new mountain bike. It's a 26 inch cruiser mountain bike, chosen for low price, comfort, rust resistance, and agility.  I had been pining over one since the beginning of the summer. It was a blessing to have my grandparents come all the way to Rhode Island to pick it up from the Walmart in Warwick and bring it back to my apartment.  Hehehe, thats not really why they came, but it sure was a added bonus to seeing their wonderful faces this side of the north east.
The first time I took the beaut out, Hannah and I went 5 miles, all over Smith Hill, down through Eagle Square, to Elmhurst, and back to Jewett st. I was dying by mile two, but Hannah pushed me to keep going! It was great. Ive even ridden it all the way to the Broadway area, discovering quick little routes through fun neighborhoods. Providence even has more bike lanes and paths than you would think! 

The past few times Ive ridden down by the Woonasquatucket River, and its a beautiful urban trail with a hint of nature mixed in. 

Last night, I decided to take her out at midnight, a common theme starting to pop up! (Yes I am being safe, dont worry.) I rode to Nathaniel Greene middle school and back down Chalkstone for a quick but invigorating two miles. Its been fun to explore new places and get my work out on at the same time. Sometimes walking can get a little boring, and I am ten time more excited to hop on my bike and go!

In middle school and early highschool some friends, my sister, and I would get on our bikes and just go all over Lockport. We explored every path, every creek trail, every creepy wooded shortcut through neighborhoods, we rode hundreds of laps around the local high school track, and had tons of fun weaving in and around cars. We actually called ourselves the "Biking Vikings," with the motto "If you are going to get hit by a car, make sure it's an expensive one you you can collect alot of insurance money." Ok ok, I know, but we were 14 years old. I remember being able to hop on our bikes and just go, the feeling of freedom before one knows what its like to have a car. 

Everyone seems to be getting a bike these days, so it looks like my adventures wont have to be lone ranger for much longer! Yay!

No comments: