Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Experience New England: My Bucket List

A girl can dream, (and this is the short version of those dreams).


Bucket List: list of things to do before you die. Comes from the term "kicked the bucket".


New Bedford Whaling Museum
The 107 year old whaling museum located in Massachusetts, “it is home to the world's largest ship model, Lagoda, a half-scale whale ship built in 1916 by the aging shipwrights of New Bedford's famed fleet. The Museum displays four species of complete whale skeletons, including a Blue whale, the world's largest mammal plus a mother and fetus of the highly endangered Northern Atlantic Right whale.” How can you beat that excitement? No, Im not joking.

"The Nation's First Sunrise"
Viewing the "first sun rise in the USA" is a  popular activity among visitors of Maine's Acadia National Park. Cadillac Mountain sees the first sunrise in the fall and winter, and during most of the spring and summer, the sun rises first on Mars Hill, 150 miles to the northeast. This would be invigorating. 

Hartland Brick Church Famous Roast Beef Supper
Maybe I am crazy, but this seems like a really cool thing to randomly do.
“People drive an hour and a half or more to make the pilgrimage, and not just once a year or once a month, but some for nine straight Saturdays starting in January--every year. These dinners take place in the basement of  "the Brick Church" in Hartland, and no matter the weather. A bad snowstorm or driving sleet might keep servings down to 200 or 250; a good night will feed some 400 people.” And J.D. Salinger went to them!



Sandwich, Massachusetts
I have to admit one thing: I have been here before…. BUT, it was at 1am, for ten minutes, and we climbed a tree.. I don’t think that counts. I want to see the boardwalk and watch tugboats enter the Cape Cod Canal at dawn, and then hit up the Sandwich Glass Museum. Sandwich is the oldest town on Cape Cod by the way.  (photo from Yankee Magazine)


Wild Game Supper
Congregational Church's annual "Wild Game Supper" in Bradford, Vermont, comes to mind. The out-of-town crowd at that hunting-season event grew so overwhelming--even at $25 a head--that the church recently set a serving limit of 900. The writer Calvin Trillin once called it "the Super Bowl of church suppers."


Cable Car Cinema
Located on South Main Street in Providence RI, this comfy cinema and café is known for its couches, great atmosphere, fun indie films, and speakers in the bathroom (so you don’t miss TOO much)! Reasonable prices, and a great date or hangout atmosphere. I see this place all the time, and want to go SOO bad.



What about you? Do you have any dreams to travel around New England?
 Any places that strike your fancy?  
 Am I missing something important? Do share!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I WANT TO GO TO EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THESE CHURCH DINNERS WITH YOU!

-Niki

Stephanie Kay said...

I have been to the Whaling Museum - 3 times! Visit Cranston Public Library (across from Garden City on Sakonnoset) for free passes. There's also a National Park visitor center a block down the road. Highly recommend it. Then walk the trail around the area to learn more about New Bedford and the whaling museum.

I had the opportunity to do the sunrise thing at Bar Harbor. But I prefer to sleep.

On our list for this spring: Freedom Trail in Boston, Lexington/Concord National Park for the ride of Paul Revere, Boston Museum of Science, a couple of zoos, Newport Museum, Roger Williams National Park in Providence, a butterfly reserve, and maybe an apiary. So many places to visit - so little time!

Anonymous said...

I've done a lot of the stuff on your list(I live in the next town over from Sandwich,MA). Seeing a Sox-Yankees game at Fenway is on my list. When you hit up Sandwich, stay at the Dan'l Webster inn(a little pricy but it's a really nice place).

Alissa:Adventurer said...

@Stephanie... sooo the NBWM is definitely a catch then? Haha :) I am excited to check it out soon hopefully.

@Niki- LETS GO!

@Anonymous - I have heard about that Inn, sounds beautiful! Shall research it!

Sylvia said...

Alissa, I can help you out with a couple. I live only 15 miles from Mars Hill, the mountain there is called Big Rock and my aunt lives 1/2 or so maybe 45 minutes to Bar Harbor, just let me know when you want to do that. My brother and sister-in-law used to live in Bradfor, very small town. Good luck.

Alissa:Adventurer said...

Awesome! Mrs Buob, thanks! I will let you know:)