Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Double Your Breakfast, Double Your Fun.

A giant part of being a missionary in a foreign land is simply living. Other than ministry work, one must figure out how to get food, where to buy a backpack if yours breaks, learning the language, and how to get along with the people. Im well equipped to tell some of these kinds of stories.

I accidently ate two breakfasts yesterday. Lost in translation was the fact that Anya’s mom, a professional chef, was coming to the apartment yesterday to cook some food for me. So after I ate a hearty breakfast consisting of onions, potatoes, garlic and jam and bread, I hopped in the shower, only to hear someone walking through the house. Unusual I thought, as Anya was at work for the day. Maybe she stopped home to see how I was doing. I got dried off and took a peak into the kitchen, where most of the ruckus was, and was definitely surprised to see Anya’s mother cooking up potatoes and chicken, with a further spread on the table of cheese, bread, sausage, homemade jam, candy, chocolates and tea. She doesn’t speak English, and I didn’t want to offend, so I just ate. Ha-ha. Oh man so fullll for the rest of the day.

Mike and I have come to a conclusion that we didn’t remember how "intense" the food is here from last year. Everyday it’s fried, buttery, carb saturated, salt infused, and sugar coated. (What, am I in the Southern USA?) If it isn’t fried, than you probably have to fry it. If you seem hungry, they will offer cheese and sausage and bread. Even the cake seems greasy. The 3-8% milk does nothing for my system.

Don’t get me wrong, their food is delicious, and maybe it’s just because I am still a guest that they are heaping me up with such rich and delicious foods.

In my suitcase I brought Mexican and ranch seasoning packets, and hope they can be the start of some youth food parties! Or maybe I can make something for the English club. That would be great.

Some other observations about the food:
  • they do not have ground meat here, and turkey is not readily available. 
  • Peanut butter is not an option, unless you are in a bigger city. 
  • I can’t figure out what the Russian translation for cous cous is here. But I would love to know.
  • They love tea, and soup. The tea is great, and the soups are all delicious, my favorite being pickle soup. (Imagine a glorious soup made of pickles, with tons of other pickled veggies.) 
  • No one has coffee brewers, and that’s because their coffee is all instant, and surprisingly delightful. 
  • They don’t call what we call cereal, cereal. Their definition of cereal is more like a hot, grainy oatmeal kind of thing, and the stuff you get in a box and pour with milk isn’t really popular. 
  • Everyone here gets their potatoes, carrots, garlic, and berries from their garden (but since there are more apartment buildings than homes, I’ve yet to stumble on these gardens I’m told exist.) 
  • Everyone makes their own jam, from strawberry, raspberry, currant, cherry, etc. And it’s ALLL delicious. The Russian word for jam actually stems from the term “to boil."

I cant wait to try new Russian foods though. Their flavor profile is so interesting, and surely there are some recipes I can bring home.

In a little while I am going to trek across the icy tundra to the Spar grocery store and pile up on all of the produce available. I have seen avocado and pomegranate around, which would be a delight. Otherwise, I saw mushrooms, tomatoes, oranges, berries, and apples! I was also told that there is also a farmers market across the way, bring it on!!!!

Sorry for the delay in posting. Its difficult here with the dial up internet. Im tryin though=)
God Bless,
-Alissa

6 comments:

Stephanie Kay said...

A second delicious breakfast sounds like fun!

Vickie said...

Enjoy! You'll be back in the land sugar-free and skinny before you know it!

Alissa:Adventurer said...

haha Thanks.

I feel like Im on some sort of twisted Adkins diet or something.

but since I went grocery shopping its been better.

Amy said...

So interesting! When I was in Moldova we were staying in the city but everyone had food from their gardens, too. Later that trip we discovered that most of the people living in the city have "country homes" in their family. We got to visit one and it was incredible! HUGE gardens that families have together and share the yield. My favorite: they also had their own honey combs and the honey was amazing in the tea!

Thanks for updating us!!!

Liss said...

I miss the Russian food it was so yummy!! Did you have any borscht yet? That was my favorite with the random sour cream like stuff to put in it.

One thing I def. remember about my trips to Russia is that you will never go hungry for the most part. Enjoy discovering all the new fun flavors that are out there!! :)

Alon said...

kim and i made AMAZING tacos last night. we each had like 4 or 5 haha. anyway, we thought of you and said, "alissa probably can't have tacos in russia!!!!!" will you survive?