Thursday, January 13, 2011

Caring as a Calling

I really like this article:  Caring as a Calling by Monica J. Maxon. Here is a small clip of it:

An odd by-product of my loss is that I’m aware of being an embarrassment to everyone I meet. . . .To some I’m worse than an embarrassment. I am a death’s head. [C. S. Lewis, A Grief Observed (Seabury, 1961) Pp. 10, 11]
The act of condolence is a difficult task for most of us. We don’t know what to say -- we might even say something stupid -- and are afraid the distraught one might cry, break down completely; too much time has elapsed, and we’d feel silly, out of place, saying something now; maybe if we can just be extra nice . . . but really, she looks like she wants to be left alone. Or the ultimate excuse: It’s the clergy’s [other roles may be substituted] duty to comfort and care, not mine.

It's about grief, condoling, and showing care- how not to make people dealing with sadness feel like isolated outcasts.  

Im thankful for those around me who have acknowledged whats happened, even in a small way, and have cared, even in a small way. This article is good. Read it definitely.

No comments: