Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Dear Dad

I was cleaning my room this afternoon and stumbled upon a half written letter to my dad that I had started when I was in Russia. My heart was hoping I had left it in Russia and wouldn't have to deal with it, but alas, it made it into the pile of papers on my desk. I would give anything to go back, make myself finish it and send it to him. Who knows what would have happened, but then again, thats not what happened.



Hey Dad,
  Its Alissa. You might not have a lot of time or interest to continue reading, but I hope you do.
  I am writing to you from Zavolzhye, Russia, a small town about 6 hours north east of Moscow. I have been here for about two weeks, and already I have come to learn many things.
   In a small town where alcohol is very prevelent in family  issues, I just want to thank you for being an example for me and Kailey in the fact of not often drinking, and raising us to stay away from drunkenness. I also want to thank you for allowing us to attend private Christian school. The difference it has made in my life is incredible. Teachers who cared and honestly put my best interests in front.
  Growing up in this way has certainly brought me to where I am now- sharing the Gospel of God's love and forgiveness in an area of people who have never heard of such things.
   I am not going to pretend that everything is ok between us, because it's not. I feel hurt and sad at everything that has happened in the past year/few years, as well as the fact that we have never been emotionally or spiritually close. Im afraid that it might have to do with my own prideful mindset, and I truly want to apologize.
   You are my dad, and I am your daughter, and I love you, and I hope you love me. It would mean  the world to me if we could work past whatever is between us and be back on decent terms.

And thats where it ends.

Ephesians 4:26-27 says this:
“In your anger do not sin”: Do not let the sun go down while you are still angry, 27 and do not give the devil a foothold."


One day of hurt feelings can easily turn into two, and that turns into two years. Before you know it, your dad is dead, and its too late to make things right. 


There are a lot of reasons that I could be upset with how my dad blew up our relationship and caused a lot of hurt to a lot of people. But I have no excuse when looking at the pride I let linger in my heart, the pride that said, "Well, you deserve to be hurt. Let him figure it out if he wants to make things right." What crap. What lies. 


I challenge, encourage, and implore you strongly, every single one of you, to go and fight for your families. There is absolutely no reason that you should not do whatever you can in your power to restore broken relationships- mother daughter, sister brother, father son, uncle niece, cousin cousin, etc.   You cannot force someone to accept this battle, but you can surely show them the love of Christ. Love that does hard things and battles sin. Then you pray, hard. 

5 comments:

Vickie said...

thanks for sharing your hurt and speaking the truth.
Holding on to being right destroys relationships- what if Jesus had done that?
Being right is over-rated. Most of us have to discover this the hard way. You are not alone.
Love you and admire you so much.
Mrs. K

Amy said...

Thanks for this honest post. Wow, Alissa! Such wisdom. Praying for you even today--

Stephanie Kay said...

Thank you for sharing your heart, Alissa.

Alissa:Adventurer said...

Thank you wonderful ladies for being supportive and wonderful mentors!
And thanks for reading the blog!

Anonymous said...

My dad and I had a really rough relationship for as long as I can remember, and a lot of it came down to our pride and expectations we put on one another. There was a lot of misunderstanding and a lack of willingness to understand one another.

It took until my mental breakdown due to a mental illness a year ago for us to finally begin to break down those walls. I think a lot of it had to do with the fact that he wasn't willing to understand a lot of my actions were not by my own will but part of the illness (which he didn't want to believe I had), and on my part that I really was too prideful to actually try and help him understand what was happening.

I can't say we have a great relationship. There's still a lot he isn't able to understand that shoves wedges between us often, but I think the key difference now is that in understanding that myself, it's easier to forgive him each time he does it. We definitely have a better relationship than we did as I was growing up.