Thursday, March 31, 2011

Suffering

As a Christian, I have a unique take on suffering, one different than what the world thinks I should have.


There are many times when I want to give in to what the world expects from me, and the mindset the world thinks that I should have, namely that my suffering should cause me to blame God, be depressed, rebel, cease growing in righteousness, and separate myself from those who have loved me the most.


But I must refuse those indulgent offers and walk in accordance to the Bible.


The truth is that brokenness and sin entered the world, and continues to flagrantly display it's disgusting head all over our relationships, health, and lives. The world was perfect, and man sinned. Because of that, we were cursed with suffering and sin through and through. We were broken from relationship with God. We deserve death. That is horrific suffering. After all, a crime committed against an infinite God deserves infinite punishment. But God, in both his justice and his love, sent his son Christ to die for us and take that infinite punishment in our place. Three days later he was resurrected- showing that he beat death. And because of that, if we believe in him we can be back where we started... a whole relationship with God. Now instead of being overcome by suffering, we can  have hope. Hope that God is good and that we are redeemed, and that one day we will be back in a place where there are no ramifications of sin.


In order to have hope I must call on the one who BEAT death.

When my dad died, I must reach out my weak hands and rest in God because I know God is doing everything for His glory (and my growth). 


When things get hard between friends, I must think, "Lord, you know this is helping me to see my own sin, and thank you."


When I am broken and poor, financially or spiritually or mentally- I must think, God, you own the cattle on a thousand hills. You are my provider, and the hope I place in you will not be a disappointment.


Does not the Bible say many things about this topic?


Romans 5
Not only so, but we also glory in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverance;  perseverance, character; and character, hope.  And hope does not put us to shame, because God’s love has been poured out into our hearts through the Holy Spirit, who has been given to us. 
Romans 8 For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons,[k] neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, 39 neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord.
Hebrews 12 Endure hardship as discipline; God is treating you as his children. For what children are not disciplined by their father? 8 If you are not disciplined—and everyone undergoes discipline—then you are not legitimate, not true sons and daughters at all.


And the list goes on. The bible never says that suffering is something that a Christian will never go through- in fact the evidence says quite the opposite. Look at Paul who was thrown in Prison. Jesus was KILLED. Many of the disciples were killed. Job went through hell basically. But God, for whatever reason, brought them into the situation and through it. 


Something that bothers me about many health and wealth "therapy" preachers, is they do not teach their people how to suffer well. Instead they teach them to whine to God about getting them out of it immediately, because surely God would not want them to suffer. And if we say that suffering or hard circumstances hinder or destroy the work that God has done, are we not saying the the enemy has control over God? Are we saying that Jesus did not beat death? Oh my heavens. 


I do not think it is wrong to pray that God will deliver us from suffering, but the man centered idea that we somehow have to overcome all suffering because it means that God isnt in the picture? I dont know about that.



What do you think? How do you deal with suffering? Any different take? What would you say to someone who is suffering?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Suffering is a hard word to understand because it can encompass so much, some would consider it a terrible moment where pain lasts for a few days, or a week, others something that afflicts them months, and still others years, and ultimately one's who suffer their entire lives. the issues can go from petty to severe. I think all sufferers should realize there are others who have it worse, and that they shouldn't pity themselves, as it will only bring about more suffering. Also I know sufferers feel alone and abandoned by friends,even if they stay relatively in touch, which is why i think it good for them to find others who share in the same pain, but first and foremost a sufferer needs to realize God's love for them and be content with that alone. I think the main fear most sufferers have is being misunderstood by those who don't suffer as severely,(or being alone with their hardship), problem is they can't be understood by those people, because the others have no idea what its like to go through that. purpose and hope keep those who suffer alive. I know many sufferers seek the things of the world and never are satisfied by them, suicide becomes a quick way out when they are at their lowest. I think without God a sufferer only can survive on hope,and if lucky some very good understanding friends. I like what you said about people not being taught to suffer well, I think its true in a lot of ways, suffering can be used by God in so many ways, I see those who have hardship as some of the most impactful people in the world. overall I think those who suffer severely need to make a choice every day to fight to have hope.