Tuesday, April 12, 2011

National Poetry Month

While I am no connoisseur of poetry, I do enjoy it quite a bit. I actually have a poem of mine printed in one of those International Poetry Society books, and I won a county wide contest for a poem I had written. This love for poetry was also fostered by my high school English teacher Mrs. Attfield. She would pick the best poems for us to read and we would think through them line by line, my mind fully engaged and almost excited at the task.
Anyways, this is National Poetry Month! (who knew?!) I figured I would enlighten you with some delicious mind candy.

First of all, you should sign up HERE for a Poem a day to be sent to your email for the month of April. Sorry it is already halfway through the month. But there is still time!

Request the cool poster from this month for FREE.

National Poetry Month activities at the Providence Public Library

HERE  is a small collection of some poems I have written.

Below is a great poem for all single people. Good stuff:



And now for one of my all time favorite poems.

Much Madness is Divinest Sense
 by Emily Dickinson (1830–86).  Complete Poems.  1924.

MUCH madness is divinest sense
To a discerning eye;
Much sense the starkest madness.
’T is the majority
In this, as all, prevails
Assent, and you are sane;
Demur,—you ’re straightway dangerous,
And handled with a chain.


What is your favorite poem? Do you read poetry often? 
I would love to dig up some deep theological poetry, so if you know some authors, please share!

2 comments:

Otto Neubauer said...

I'll try to limit myself to just two.

C.S. Lewis' "Footnote to All Prayers" is my favorite overtly theological poem. It really manages to convey the inscrutability of God and our need for his grace.

Robert Frost's "Choose Something Like a Star" implicitly touches on similar religious themes. Even the most rigorous scientific investigation of our star (God) gives us "strangely little" understanding, while both placing moral demands on us and giving us something to "stay our minds on and be staid." It's probably my favorite poem.

Sarah David said...

Daddy by Sylvia Plath! Or anything by Plath, really...or Walt Whitman. They're my two favorites :)