Sunday, May 23, 2010

Quick Departure, Long Journey

Well hello people!
After 31 straight hours of traveling, I arrived in Providence on Thursday evenning weary, delusional, and terribly smelly - typical side effects no doubt.

My departure happened just as fast as my arrival. Pastor Sasha gets to the apartment, throws my stuff in the car and says "ok lets go." Just like that. Im walking out of the building trying to hold back tears, which would  be to complicated to explain to my Russian friends.

We get to the train station in Nizhny Novgorod and I know I am in for a long night. My two bunkmates, older Russian men, change into pajamas and pass out, snoring obnoxiously loud. The lights are out. A third roommate comes into the room at the next stop, but its dark and we dont talk. I cant sleep due to the noise and the awkward closeness of being in a tiny room with 3 sleeping strangers.

Upon arrival in Moscow, my third roommate happens to be a Russian young lady who speaks English! Just my luck. We conversate and learn that we are going to the same metro stop. She even buys me my train ticket. From a scalper none the less, "Are these tickets going to work?" .."Hope so!" She exclaims. After getting on the metro we talk more and exchange thank-you's and business cards and then get off and go our separate ways.

I ride the Aero-Express to the Sheremetyevo International Airport, the most annoying airport in the world pretty much. I had a packed backpack, a heavy duffel bag, and another carryon with random things. The moral of the story is not to pack more than you can carry, but I had even left behind books, socks, boots, and toiletries. Walking 10 miles through the airport killed my arms and I was halfway exhausted already.

The flight was 10 hours from Moscow to New York City, and not terrible, but I couldnt sleep. They played movies, Thank God, otherwise it would have been a lot more harder to get through those 10 long hours.

My friends Leeta and Niki picked me up and we spent 4.5 hours driving back to Providence, usually only a 3 hours drive -- Connecticut wasnt my friend.

I got home at 7:30pm. Took a much needed shower, and walked over to my pastors house to hang out with some people. Luckily, I was in bed by 10:30pm, and didnt have to be to work until noon the next day. Slept like a rock. God Bless America. I really miss Russia, but its good to be back.

No comments: