Tuesday, June 29, 2010

How do we enjoy God?

The Westminster Catechism states that the chief end of man is to glorify God and to enjoy Him forever. Do you enjoy God? What does that look like in your life?

Enjoying God is a hard concept for me to really grasp, and I don't even know if I’ve gotten the concept correct.

But two verses come to mind when I think of enjoying God, first being 1 Peter 3:12 “The eyes of the Lord are on the righteous, and his ears attend to their prayers, but the face of the lord is against those who do evil.”

I can enjoy God because I know his eyes are on me, and he hears my prayers. I know I am righteous, not because of anything I do, but because his grace has allowed me salvation. It is not about working to gain his approval, because he views me as his own child and friend.

Psalm 15 “Oh Lord, who may abide in your tent, who may dwell on your holy hill? Those who walk with integrity and work righteousness, and speaks the truth in his heart..”

 I can enjoy God because he has saved me from myself. In His sovereignty I have been made right with Him, have been saved from myself and can walk with integrity and righteousness.

Wow, dwelling on his holy hill? Pure enjoyment.

Maybe its because I am such a doer, but I have to remember always that it is because of nothing I have done that has earned me a place in the family of God, but merely from his pure grace and mercy in my life. And that really brings me enjoyment.

I think enjoying God also comes when we make what makes Him happy- what makes us happy.

Thoughts?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've found that I enjoy God a lot more when I'm in constant contact with Him. As I converse with Him throughout the day, I see Him more and usually, He makes me laugh. Lately, I've found him gently convicting me of a certain sin, but He's doing it in ways that make smile rather than feel guilty - more like a friendly nudge when I'm about to give into the temptation than a smack. I attribute this to a more sensitive spririt in me BECAUSE I've learned to enjoy being with Him.

Alissa:Adventurer said...

Wow what a great way to look at it.

I think when we start loving more what he loves, then chastening becomes more "enjoyable" or rather, something we can take easier and learn from.

a goal we should all aim to.