Thursday, June 24, 2010

What's on Your Shelf Alissa?

I've been meaning to do a post about books, especially my summer reading list, but havent gotten around to it. The other day, I stumbled upon the "On My Shelf" series at the Gospel Coalition site. It sounded good and here we go!

What's on Your Shelf: Alissa Graham

What’s currently on your nightstand?

The Church and the Surprising Offense of Gods Love by Jonathan Leeman

Kindle, Nook, or iPad? What do you think of e-readers?
No thanks! Im all about paper and bindings.

Where do you most like to read? When?
I read when I have the time. Usually before bed, on the bus, slow times at work, and on my balcony on a nice afternoon.

Favorite genre of literature?
Biblical Counseling

Best novel you’ve read?
I love what Mark Dever says “I really don’t like superlative questions.”

Most influential book in your life outside the Bible?
:) See answer to previous question.

If you were stranded on an island and could have any three books in addition to the Bible, what would they be?
Instruments in the Redeemers Hands by Tripp, Greek and Hebrew Strong’s Concordance, and a biography of Adoniram Judson

Who are some of your favorite writers? What makes their writing great?
Paul Tripp, Mark Dever, CJ Mahaney. All of their writing is practical, gospel centered, and intelligently challenging

Do you have any “pet peeves” about writing? What do you try to avoid in your prose?
I don’t like beating around the bush.

Reading habits? (e.g., Pen in hand? Coffee? Diet Coke? Music playing?)
A book in hand, a pen nearby

Elephant ear or bookmark?
I go for the random bookmark method- post-it notes, receipts, napkins.

Approximately how many volumes are in your personal library?
Maybe 1,000? (Probably more) Someday they will all be reunited into one central home library, instead of sprawled out across 2 states and 3 homes.

Favorite children’s book?
Go Dog Go! By PD Eastman

Favorite library you’ve ever visited?
Lockport Public Library- New York


Stick around for more in this series! Maybe even you!

3 comments:

Michael and Karen McDonald said...

1000 + books - my kind of girl.

Stephanie Kay said...

Ellie LOVES Go Dog Go. :)

Alissa:Adventurer said...

HAha 1000 plus bok yeah man!

Go Dog Go is the best book ever! I bought my own copy when I was a freshman in highschool!