Monday, November 16, 2009

Social Media Annoys Me

Ok so: Facebook, Twitter, Flikr, blah blah blah.



I love the stuff, and I think that it can definitely be used constructively. But dear lordy, sometimes being away for it and then checking it again makes me remember why I dont miss it. Ive come up with some ways that people abuse it.





#1: Dont use social media selfishly. If you arent going to interact and respond, whats the point? Get a paper notebook. That way you wont spam the twitterverse or my facebook page with useless crap that is just to get yourself attention. And I wont have to worry about responding to something you say and it never being acknowledged. Social media is similar to real life, let me explain. If you just walk around all day spouting off random crap about yourself, and you dont engage people around you in conversation, then people will start to really get ticked off at you or just ignore you all together. Same with Facebook and Twitter. Sure you can say whatever you want, but if other people try to talk to you about it and you just ignore it, why? My favorite "Unmarketing" guy, Scott Stratten, always makes a point to stop spouting off crap and to start engaging.
Like I said, they do sell pretty notebooks at Barnes and Noble. I will buy you one.



#2: Dont complain about how lonely you are via social media. If you have 500 friends on facebook and 70 on Twitter, but you cant talk to any of them in real life about some struggles you are having, maybe you should rethink some things: are you making an effort to be a friend to others, do you isolate yourself, do you really belong in a city/town where you cant reach out, are there people reaching out to you but you are turning them down? Most likely the issue lies with you, and not others.




and thats all I have to say for now.

No comments: