Friday, August 5, 2011

Love Letter to RIPTA

Dear Rhode Island Public Transportation (lovingly referred to as RIPTA),



When our relationship started, it was pretty shaky. I didn’t know what I wanted, and you knew all too well. I was just using you, and you saw through it and let me off at the end of the route, on a dead end, I was 18 and didn’t know how to navigate such waters yet. But soon enough we reconnected and I was smarter this time… respecting your power and embracing everything about you, even if it brought us into a bind here or there.

Things were good, and we spent many hours together. I got to know your crazy side, the 99. Every ten minutes a bipolar mess, home, class, work. We made it through. After a year of that it was time for a change. The 56 and 57 are the multiple personalities that remind me of two comedians who like to taunt the audience. I learned how to take the jokes, and I loved you more. Sometimes when things were stressful, you would show me your quiet, tender, compassionate sides- the 30 and the 22, and late into the night we would spend thinking things through as we went on trips to Warwick- just you and me as we escaped.

Remember that summer we spent wandering through Cranston in the early morn? You would pick me up from internship and bring me right to my job back in Providence. So kind of you to carry my books. Sometimes we would take day trips down to Newport and explore the beaches and mansions. How we would dream of our future together.

You know, even when you were late to our dates, or went on vacation for Victory Over Japan day without telling me (how am I supposed to know? Im not a native!), I forgave you and we moved on. Through 4 years of loving you, I only cheated twice. Once was that time on my study abroad (what happens in Russia stays in Russia), but I knew what I had with you was too special to just give up. The second time was when I thought having a car would be for the best. But the car dumped me and you took me back. You even loved me when I would take extended phone calls while we were together. What a love.

Why are things strained between us now? I thought we had a good thing going. Last night when you wanted us to “define the relationship,” it really caught me off guard. Why did you announce it over the news? Couldn’t we work things out differently? I can’t afford to lose you, any of you, I don’t want you to hold back.

RIPTA listen to my plea! Without you how will I get to work, class, the grocery store, my friends house, on vacation, to the airport, to the train station, to the Greyhound Bus, to the DMV, to the park, to the mall, late at night, early in the morning, during the afternoon, at rush hour. You have been good to me, spoiled me. I know I don’t have a lot of experience in this kind of relationship, but it’s better than what I had before back home. I know you are poor, but I'll do anything, we can figure out something out.

Please don’t leave me high and dry. I admit it, I am codependent on you, I use you, I need you. Think of me when deciding what kind of “life change” you need. Please, think of me.


Much Love,
-Alissa

 
Articles:

No comments: