Sunday, August 28, 2011

Come on Irene!

This morning I was woken up by the strong winds of Tropical Storm Irene sprinting by my window as if the start gun has just gone off! I walked out into the living room to sit and watch the rain and the wind compete for attention by destroying anything that would let them. Mostly leaves and some small branches have been strewn about on my street at this point.

I've been watching the coverage at cnn.com, weather.com, and the Projo to see what Rhode Island can actually expect for the worst. The mayor called for a parking ban all across the city, and I think they even shut up the hurricane barriers last night.

Down in Narragansett the waves have already crashed onto shore and covered the road. 

All flights out of T.F. Green have been cancelled. 

Over 100,000 people across Rhode Island are without power, thanks to this handy real time assessment from National Grid. Thankfully, we still have it.

Here are some photos of Irene taken my rhodey locals, updated frequently.

There is also a real time news update that I've been watching from Channel 12 WPRI


Later this afternoon, some friends are coming over for a continued hurricane party and we are making brunch and hunkering down while it hits the hardest around 2pm. (if you want to brave the elements, feel free to stop by).

Until then, I will be reading some Valley of Vision, and my new book from Mike McKinley. I'll let you know if anything crazy happens.

Over and out.

No comments: