Saturday, August 29, 2009

An Idol of Sorts

An Idol of Sorts
by Alissa Graham

cant seem to attain the one thing
that has always eluded me.
the thorn in my side
that exists because its not there.
believed so many lies
and sought with deceptively blind eyes

never seen it for myself
but continually in everyone else
makes me think someone is holding out
a glorious taste, bountiful cuisine
but there is a secret password to unlock it
and I dont have the ability

got the feeling
its time to lay down the frantic search
because God alone is my portion
tastes better than all glory combined
time to cast it to the side
because God alone satisfies.

not good at giving up what im pursuing
i strive so hard
to get where im going
but it needs to be done
as time after time its hindered my being
an idol of sorts, feared by me

God knows the desires of my heart
and he wont cheat me from what I need
but I have to pray
and make sure what what I want is what I need.

No comments: