Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Stories from Russia 1

I received this message in my inbox this morning. I love Mike's simple yet descriptive stories. Its a fun one so I decided to share with you all.

"I know the USA folks are sleeping soundly but I thought you might enjoy waking up and reading a morning story from Russia. I have a few minutes while I wait on Alex to pick me up for some shopping we need to do – groceries and electronics. The weather has warmed up to Zero this morning and it is snowing real fine grains of snow and beginning to collect on top of all the snow already on the ground. I am listening to a Radio Shack emergency radio, the hand crank type. Alex gave me the numbers for an FM station that plays some music in English but the announcing is in Russian. The station must be some distance away because it is hard to tune. The frequency drifts.

Alex’s wife Galina introduced me to festive Russian bread that looks like a waffle but is soft, thin and flexible. It taste like it is made with eggs and you eat it with cherry preserves. Yesterday I discovered a shelf in the kitchen that I had not yet explored. On that shelf was a basket with onions and garlic (I wish I had found the onions earlier to go with the bucket of potatoes) and two canning jars or what appeared to be preserves. So I said to myself, self, those look good how do I put them to use? I know there is a bread bakery across the way because I was told by the landlord and I can now read the word for bread (хлеб) on the sign. The outside is framed in wood and painted in yellows and blues. It almost has a Latino look. I have noticed Russians coming and going so with some Rubles in my pocket I thought to give it a try. Making my now familiar walk to the garbage dumpster and nodding hello to the passer byes I made the turn toward the bread shop and followed one of the Russians so I would not use the wrong door. What I found on the inside was a bright cheery family style business well staffed and well stocked with freshly baked bread and sweet treats, sausage, cheese, fruit and some American Candy Bars (Snickers). It reminded me a little of Schwarz’s Grocery that mom will remember. I looked around and then walked up to the counter and asked one of the young ladies if she spoke English. Nodding no she started off toward the back for assistance but stopped when I told her in Russian that I speak a little Russian. We smiled and begin to transact business for a loaf of white bread shaped like French bread. The price of the loaf was 15.5 rubles or about 52 cents for a 14 inch loaf. I told her in Russian that my home is in Tennessee in the USA. She smiled nodding that she understood. I put my gloves back on, secured the LL Bean baseball style hat with ear covers and started back to the apartment. When I wear the big gloves I have to pull one off to manage the electronic key to the main door. I have learned not to touch the metal on the door with my bear hand. It is a little like touching the inside of a freezer.

Back in the apartment with a loaf of bread and jar to be opened it is time to explore the jar. Inside the jar was a type of dark cherry preserve (the cherries are small not large like a Maraschino cherry); the preserves are more like cherries in syrup. When applied to the bread it is great. What a wonderful breakfast surprise. I am learning.

Take Care and Keep Praying,
Mike"


One More month until I meet him there with the team from JWU.

1 comment:

Stephanie Kay said...

Sounds like he's on the adventure of a lifetime! Thanks for sharing. I can't wait to read about your adventures also.