Friday, January 1, 2010

Show Us Your Life: Bucket List Resolutions 2010


  Friday afternoons  Kelly's Korner blog has a blog carnival called "Show Us Your Life" in which people from all over get to participate in blogging about a different topic. Her blog carnie isn't until January 8th, but I figured I might as well do it up today and then just add it in next week to her thing! The topic is New Year's Resolutions!

As a Christian, I think its really important to always be self evaluating, not just once a year, a big hooplah in the beginning. But I do think there is merit to a new start, and a fresh year seems to give people that push.

As for me, I have two things that I do every New Year. The first tradition that I established for myself as a 10 year old is take a page from a notebook and just chronicle some basic info about myself. I write simple things like favorite food, color, book, musician, who my friends are, what I love in school, what I do for fun.. things like that. And then I try to tape a picture of myself to it. Its really cool to look back and see that I loved Avalon as an eight year old, NSYNC as a 12 year old, Relient K as a 15 year old, and now my favorite music is Passion Pit and Death Cab for Cutie. It is also really great to see who my friends have been every year, as God has surely blessed me with some life long friends, as well as some new friends that have just come from nowhere and are hopefully here to stay. I'm pumped at looking back at them in twenty years lord willing and seeing how I will always be my good old self, but yet ever changing.

The second thing that I started about five years ago is a little list that is just some goals for the New Year. I shy away from describing it as a bunch of New Year's Resolutions, because its not a list of things that I want to change in myself necessarily- More of like a yearly bucket list. Some past items on the yearly list:
  • Go to Allentown Art Festival in Buffalo (check -2008)
  • Become President of Student Council (check -2006)
  • Sit with someone that I don't know in the cafeteria (check-2005)
  • Read 52 books in one year (check! -2007)
  • Go to Boston in the fall (check- 2008)

Let me share with you *some* things on  
Alissa's 2010 Non-Resolution Yearly Bucket List!
  • Travel to Philadelphia
  • Visit Kim in Germany (for Christmas?)
  • Go to the West Coast- Seattle or Alaska please =)
  • Roadtrip to Montreal, Canada
  • Stick to my monthly budget
  • Go to Local121 in Providence
  • Conversate in Russian
  • Fourth of July in Boston
  • Walk around parts of Providence that I have never really walked around.
  • Consolidate all of my junk (right now I have all my stuff at three separate locations- Moms, grandma's, & RI)
  • Get more involved in the Smith Hill/Providence community 
  • See more sun rises (a.k.a. wake up earlier)
  • Focus on the Gospel and God's redemptive grace in relationships specifically
  • Have older/younger people from the church over at least once a month.
  • Buy really good books for at least 10 people. Probably from this list here.
  • Have a good old BLAST in Y2kX!  (and no that doesn't stand for bacon, lettuce, avacado, shrimp, tomato sandwich)
So thats a little tidbit from my 2010 bucket list=) Hope you enjoy it.
Do yall have anything that you just definitely want to do this year? 

    5 comments:

    Stephanie Kay said...

    What a great list! 4th of July in Boston is a ton of fun!! We went years ago (as in before kids). I hope to go back someday (as in when none of my kids wears a diaper). :)

    Alissa:Adventurer said...

    Do you have any Boston 4th of July tips? Should I get there super super early?

    Jenny Lynn said...

    Such a good list!
    I loved that movie and I definitely think that's a better idea than resolutions - you're right, as a Christian it is imperative to re-evaluate more than annually. I might just have to come up with a list :)

    Sheila said...

    Hey Alissa
    Loved your list and have enjoyed your blog. I am a lover of Missions too and have only ever been on Disaster Rebuild mission trips to Pascagoula Mississippi but hope God sends me on more diverse mission trips. (although the Disaster Relief/Rebuild trips are amazing!) Good luck on your Russian trip, I have a friend that is in Russia as a Campus Crusade For Christ missionary!

    emily said...

    i would like to make a trip to the west coast this year as well.

    best of luck with your bucket list. :)