Thursday, May 19, 2011

Graduating, Done, Almost, Calluses?

I'm sitting at my desk in the JWU University Information Center and thinking about the fact that I currently have no homework, no tests to study for, no essays or field trips. Oh my. This week I crammed my hardest for Statistics (probably a good 6 hours or more), wrote up my finals, turned them in, and here I sit, at the end.

Ideally I graduate this Saturday with a Bachelors degree in Global Tourism Management with a concentration in Entrepreneurship. Of course I have two more classes to take this summer, but this basically marks the end of my college career.

On the way to Freshmen Orientation, 2007
Four years at Johnson & Wales, in Providence Rhode Island. Three years of being involved in Christian Student Fellowship. Two years of working in the UIC. One dorm and two apartments later. One gospel centered church. Many an adventure. Many good relationships, and some not so good ones. Innumerable opportunities for learning about tourism. Russia. Greece. Blackstone Valley. AAA. T.F. Green. Wow. And now I have a CAR! And so many people to thank.

Who would have thought I would be here, doing this!

My friend said that graduation feels like "they are kicking him out," and I kind of feel the same way. I'd rather not leave, haha.

There might be some denial going on (actually kind of a lot). But I look forward, and I am nervous and scared, yet excited.

Travel Practicum in Greece, 2009
I read a blog yesterday where a commencement speaker "told the graduates that they had developed calluses from all the hard work of studying, and he charged them not to let those calluses get soft." 


I do not want to loose the calluses from learning. Of course I am graduating, but just because I am in the "real world" (what a crappy term, by the way), doesn't mean that I cant learn, in fact I'm diving into an even larger, radical learning experience. 


The Future?
My plans include to stay in Providence for another year at least. I am moving in to a house next month with three sweet girls from the Christian Student Fellowship. I am going to apply to a bunch of places, including AAA and Liberty Travel. I want to work in the Travel/Hospitality industry, but I will take whatever job will pay the bills. (So if you know of a place that is hiring..!) I'll continue to be a part of the body at Grace Harbor Community Church, and probably be involved to some extent next year with the student fellowship. I hope to amp up my travel, local, and theology writing- submitting to various publications with the hope of being published more (and getting paid?). I would also love to travel more -- we will see how that pans out.. but Seattle? Iceland? mmhmm :)  

The future is quite uncertain. Thankfully I serve a God who is very certain.

If you could pray that I trust God on this new path and that I wont choose a "known pain, instead of an unknown joy."

Thanks for reading.

Any tips on life after college? 

If you graduated from college, what kinds of feelings did you experience?

No comments: