Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Graduation Weekend

A few exciting and nerve wrecking things happened this weekend.

First, for the exciting! My mom and her husband as well as my grandparents came down to RI to celebrate my graduation! It was a delight to have everyone in the same place, as that rarely happens. We spent some time frolicking around town.

Friday we went out to dinner at the delicious Governor Francis Inn in Warwick, RI. It is one of the first restaurants in RI that we ate at four years ago, thanks to the recommendation from a man in a parking lot. It's almost symbolic or something. I recommend this place if you are in the area. Lobster, steak, reasonable prices, yes!  We wanted to go somewhere out of the immediate Providence area, simply because of the amount of graduation related people clogging up every Providence nook and cranny.

Saturday was the graduation. There were so many people! I kind of tear up at the thought of never seeing these people again (even if I'm not directly friends with them, it still feels like I know them!).


 They kept us holed up for about 45 minutes in the back of the Dunkin Donuts, and it was kind of gross and sweaty, but finally we made it into the main room and the anticipation was incredible. I can't believe that four years later, I am a college graduate! All the hard work, all the essays, phone calls home, field trips, friends... tuition, haha. The commencement speaker was the guy who rediscovered White Zinfandel wine. It was pretty cool.

After graduation, we grabbed lunch, went shopping at the Christmas Tree Shop, took a nap, and decided to head to Oakland Beach. I guess we didn't realize how cold and windy it would be by the water, because it was quite brisk. We took cover in Marley's On the Beach and sat by the big windows to watch the water. Good times as the sun set, the sail boats passed by, and the brownie sundaes were ordered... (delicious by the way!)

My mom and her husband left early the next morning, but my grandparents stuck around until the next afternoon. They came to church with me, and then we went to T's in Cranston for brunch - another place I recommend if you understand that a wait means that the food must be good :P


Now, the nerve wrecking things that happened. Well for starters, my car didn't pass inspection. The car that I've had less than a month. It was a surprise because it was just inspected in NY less than 6 months ago, but we figure the inspection must have been "bought" if you know what I mean. The cost to repair is greater than the actual cost itself, so I am going to basically sell it off to a junk place. It is pretty sad, actually, horrible. I did everything I could to bless others with it, and not turn it into an idol. I waited and prayed for 4 long years while riding psychotic RIPTA. What a waste. Sigh. The only thing keeping me from being devastated is the fact that I know God is sovereign, and he loves me, and everything is for my good and his glory. Surely He knows whats up, and I know He is still on "plan A."

The second thing, and the most ironic thing of all. At the time of graduation, I did not actually know my grades. I was confidant about passing all but one class, Statistics. This class has been my plague for 2 years, and if I didn't pass then I didn't graduate. So I went into graduation not knowing how I did. Thankfully, last night,  I finally found out that I PASSED Stats! So many people helped me study and prayed for me, and I know that God  has grace on his little girl that just is horrible at hypothesis based theories!!!!

Well, that about sums up my past weekend. What a crazy time.

1 comment:

Amy said...

Congratulations!!!!