Friday, May 6, 2011

Show Us Your Life: Favorite Vacation Spot: New England

Well, Kelly's Corner blog is hosting a blog link-up about favorite vacation spots, and hey, since I love travel so much I figured I would go with it!

Lately I havent really had the opportunity to go on "vacation" to any exotic locales, but I have been marvelously satisfied with most of the "Staycations" that I've had around New England. Mini-getaways if you will.

So let me share my love for New England with ya'll.

First my family and I took a Rhode Island Bay Lighthouse Cruise. I totally recommend it. It was a show stopper. The cruise takes you through the Narragansett Bay area, around the Jamestown Island, and into the Newport Harbor. This light house cruise is absolutely wonderful, providing narration and indoor and outdoor seating. Absolutely picturesque, up close and personal views of the ten lighthouses and other interesting sights, along with a perfectly sunny and breezy day spent with family, how could you go wrong? I would recommend this for everyone- kids to elderly, native rhodeys or out of towners. Seriously. 


My grandparents brought my cousin Jack down and we spent some time at the Fall River, Massachusetts Battle Ship Cove. That was a really cool place, even for someone in their 20's! They have a submarine and giant battleships, with interesting displays and awesome stories surrounding it. Fall River is also the home to some really neat architecture and history. 


We also ate at a delicious clam shack on Oakland Beach called Iggy's. Delicious lobster rolls!




In the fall I went with some friends on a "To the Golden Shore" tour of New England. This tour was based on the biography about the first missionary from America, Adoniram Judson. It took us through Massachusetts to places such as Plymouth Rock, Salem (where the witch trials were held), Beverly, First Congregational Church in Wenham, and to the place where Judson was buried. Very awesome, historic, and memorable. 






These little trips dont even count for half the awesome places that Ive been and can recommend in New England. 


 The Oldest Country Store in America- in Rhode Island. Freedom Trail in Boston? Soooo good! Cape Cod is beautiful. Maine's nature is to die for. Vermont cheese? Oh please! Mystic Seaport in Connecticut is awesome! The birth place of the industrial revolution... Slater Mill in Pawtucket RI- fascinating!
The awesome thing about New England is the diversity of such a small-ish region. So much history, culture, art, delicious cuisine, nature, city life, all within reasonable driving distance from one another!!!!!






    ...I know, it's a little overwhelming. But that is because it is WORTH IT!
Have you ever been to New England? Where is your favorite vacation spot?

5 comments:

Jenn said...

Thank you for your sweet comment! We LOVED Plymouth and were able to go back last fall for the filming of Kirk Cameron's documentary - "Monumental" and also for the New England Solemn Assembly.

On our way to Plymouth our GPS led us off of the main highway and we were able to drive through an older section of Providence and it was so gorgeous! Hopefully if we get a chance to go back we can explore a little bit more of New England!

Sarah said...

I LOVE New England!!!!!!!! I will ALWAYS be a New England girl no matter where I live! :-)

Alissa:Adventurer said...

Thanks for the comments ladies!

<3 NE :)

Errign said...

I live in NH :)

Femma said...

These are awesome places. Spectacular! hope i can visit here soon. Last year I also brought my family and friends to Wisconsin Dells and it was really a great experience for all of us