Thursday, June 11, 2009

Life Revelation.

Lately... Ive been feeling slightly, lack luster, in my passion for life. I think we all know that I am one intense passionate individual who will go after what I want until I get it, so this sort of disengaged attitude is unusual. I think with the past few months going by so quickly, I kind of put my whole self on auto pilot, not really tuning in with the world or the people around me, so focused on self preservation as I delt with some personal relationships that went awry, as well as the time encompassing internships that beat the crap out of me and sucked me dry. So its been a struggle to get back with the program.

But with this week slowing down, and giving me time to actually live life and be engaged, I have been able to do a lot of thinking and reading and praying about different things. Its awesome, and Im enjoying every second, feeling the passion slowly drip back into my veins. I feel much calmer about some things and truly satisfied with God, knowing that He knows what He's doing. One thing thats been especially on my mind lately is what I am going to be doing after I get this tourism degree. And today, I have had a revelation. Well.. its been a long time coming actually, and its one of those things that I just know beyond a shadow of a doubt. I really really really really really feel called to get a TESOL certification/degree (Teachers of English to Speakers of Other Languages) and teach English as a second language. Now you might be thinking, "whoa there Alissa." What in the world? Well, dont worry. Global Tourism Management fits right in, and its not like I have to drop out and lose everything Ive worked hard for here. This is more of a long term goal. Kinda like, Hey Im going to graduate JWU, and then go overseas for a few years (with E.L.I maybe?) while simulatneously getting my M.A. in Intercultural Studies & TESOL from Wheaton College. Or something to that effect. Haha. And then missions overseas or working internally? I kinda feel complelled to teach at an international christian school somewhere in the world. I am not sure yet. But its going to work out. No joke about it.

My life is like one puzzle piece after another, but they all end up fitting together as I start to see the bigger picture. Sometimes I wonder about whether or not JWU was the correct desicion, But then I snap out of it and realize Yes, this is where Im supposed to be, obviously. I would not have grown the way I have and learned key things if I had done something different.

Hold Up. So, I have a long way to go before this happens, and I have alot of prep work for myself to do. I want to get more involved with international students here on campus, as well as really asking others for prayer about this, and just other stuff. So, I feel like this is what God wants me to do, and I definitely have a passion for this in my heart. If He doesnt want me to do it, He needs to start closing doors and openning new ones in a different direction. I trust that He is faithful and has my best interests in mind.


"Come now, you who say, "Today or tomorrow we will go into such and such a
town and spend a year there and trade and make a profit"— yet you do not know
what tomorrow will bring. What is your life? For you are a mist that appears for
a little time and then vanishes. Instead you ought to say, "If the Lord wills,
we will live and do this or that." As it is, you boast in your arrogance. All
such boasting is evil. So whoever knows the right thing to do and fails to do
it, for him it is sin." James 4:13-17


So you know what? My life is a vapor. I cannot boast in what I do not know, but Lord willing, we will see what happens.

Ohward Ho!
-Alissa-

No comments: