Friday, February 26, 2010

Show Us How You Live: What Do You Collect?

 Show Us Your Life with Kelly's Korner

Over at Kelly's Corner blog, a blog carnival is being hosted! This week's topic?  
What do you collect?

 So I'm not a hoarder, but I cant remember a time when I didnt have a weird collection going on. How about the mini eraser collection I had? Or clover grass from the back yard because it was pretty. Or intense amount of horse everything. Well, I threw all that crap out, and kind of developed a phrase:

One thing that my collections won't collect: dust.  




Magnets. I dont know how people cant love magnets. They are a fun addition to every refridgerator, and can express a multitude of things, as well as being useful to hold things up, and remind you of fun memories. I have collected magnets from everywhere in the world I've been, from Buffalo to Moscow, Gatorland in Florida, to Athens Greece to Hawaii. I have over 25 magnets. Here is a small pic of my fridge for you all to see.



My two favorites are the Buffalo, from Buffalo, and the cracked plate from Greece (which cracked because it fell on the floor ten times! but makes it look ancient and authentic haha).

 Books. Lets just say I was raised a reader. Ever since reading The Junkyard Dog and Saddle Club books as a kid, Ive been tearing up pages ever since. Also worked at a library for 3 years, which was the best time of my life. (I am the master of Dewey Decimal)

Pretty sure there's over a thousand books on my bookshelves, a vast collection generally made up of nonfiction. Me and my nonfiction =true love. I would read them all again for sure.


Lastly, I'd like to mention my small but hopefully growing collection of "destination" art, art work that is focused on a city or destination. For example, my beautiful old map of Block Island, Rhode Island. Sure it only costs 50 cents and it got wrinkled on the ferry ride, but its so cool! Also, my colorful rendering of Moscow! A little more pricey, but completely worth it.
  The last piece I have is a sketched drawing of Paris. I got it while hanging out in the Charles De Gaulle airport on the way back from Greece.




Anyone else collect anything good? 

7 comments:

Lianna Knight said...

I have quite a collection of James Patterson books myself! I have a Kindle now, but I just can't resist purchasing the hard backs each time James Patterson writes a new one :)

You can view my collections here...
http://girafficarts.blogspot.com/2010/02/baby-boy-invite-new-notecards.html

Lesli said...

I love your destination art, that is a great idea and so unique!! I also love books, I quite the collection myself..esp the little kiddie ones...lol.. Have a great weekend!

Lesli

carissa said...

i do the magnet thing too! love them! happy weekend to you!

Crystal said...

love the magnets!! I collect crosses at the moment. =)

Susan said...

I used to collect magnets too. Your art is so nice.

So nice to meet you♥

Jennifer said...

Love the magnets and the destination art is pretty cool too!

ahaynes98 said...

I think I recognize some of those books. I hope the lonely planet guide went with you!