Friday, February 12, 2010

You have Sharp Edges? Me Too.

Recently a quote came to my attention that reads "broken people have sharp edges." Its true. Hurt people are typically the ones who hurt people. In this case its no different. Especially when you are walking a narrow path with others who are broken, you are bound to get cut up. Thats how the church works sometimes.

Sigh. Its pretty obvious to most who know me that I am the type to want everyone to be friends with everyone. As a friendly person, I love inviting many different people to a multitude of events and gatherings and sometimes I dont see why some people cant just suck it up and get along. Since I am friends with a variety of people, I  would love that variety to be able to tolerate each other. Especially those who claim to belong to the body of Christ. I think its resonable to treat my brothers and sisters with love and respect, and expect it in return. The thing is, we all fail at this, I fail at this. Sometimes terribly. And here I am, ill over this situation, wondering what could have been done differently, partially knowing not really much, trying to grasp the fact that sinful behaviour is generally irrational, and mostly knowing that forgiveness and discernment are a part of this solution, but so is confrontation and expressing some hard truths in love.

Im sure we've all been at a point where we just dont want to care about someone anymore, we just want to throw our hands up and walk away from. The pain is just an ugly scab now,  "Ive tried my best to be loving," "I dont know what to do anymore," "Its just not worth it to make the effort." Those are all things that have run across my mind lately.

The thing is though, I cant give up. As long as I am a child of God, I cant walk away from people that that are broken and messed up. Because I know that I am as well.


(come back tomorrow for a riveting part 2 about forgiveness.) 

2 comments:

Adam said...

Being broken is the natural state of our heart. Having sharp edges comes from past hurt and learning to allow God to heal you through the process of relationships. People need people, yet our defense mechanism activate anytime someone gets too close.
We truly are frail beings in deep need of a Saviour.

Alissa:Adventurer said...

You are so right about people needing people, yet we automatically put up this defense mechanism, because we dont want to let anyone in and see we arent perfect. Its a double edged sword, because when that wall goes up, we separate ourselves more and more from the intentionally intrusive and redeeming relationships that God has provided us with.

We should constantly be checking ourselves to make sure we arent on the path of isolationism.