Thursday, February 12, 2009

I said noo nooo, noo noo, you're not the one for me...

1 Timothy 5 :1-2
 Do not rebuke an older man harshly, but exhort him as if he were your father. Treat younger men as brothers, older women as mothers, and younger women as sisters, with absolute purity.

Timothy 5 is a beast chapter. Its full of meat and how to treat widows, and each other and elders. For some reason I laugh a little when I read it, just because of how hardcore it is. But, these first few verses are ridiculously relevant to my life right now. Dang, I mean the whole Bible is relevant to my life right now, but specifically I am pinpointing these verses. Its slightly a hard concept to grasp, treating younger men as brothers, seeing as Ive never had a brother. And to treat an older man as a father? As in, hey you are a year older than me... really?   Hmm.. I enjoy how it says nothing about treating them as friends, and how it finishes "with absolute purity." Seriously no joke. I like it.
I think of myself, and how I always have guy friends around.. and how I need to start treating them like brothers, in all purity. I am reminded of Casey and her brother(s) and the love/admiration that they have for one another. I guess I slightly struggle with the difference between brother/friend.. or if there really is not one.
Proverbs 17:17 (21st Century King James Version)
A friend is loving at all times, and a brother is born for adversity.
Proverbs 18:24 (21st Century King James Version)
A man that hath friends must show himself friendly, and there is a friend that sticketh closer than a brother.
Zechariah 7:10 (21st Century King James Version)
And oppress not the widow nor the fatherless, the stranger, nor the poor; and let none of you imagine evil against his brother in your heart.'


   If I had my Strongs concordance I would look up the literal Greek and Hebrew translations of the words "Brother" and "Friend."    So I ponder.  And I will revisit this subject at a later time.
Ok my life goal is to get 8 hours of sleep tonight. And ready.. set.. go.

No comments: