Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Back into the Swing

I was on the plane from Buffalo to Newark and I had the privilege of talking to a 9 year old named Marissa who was going to Disney World with her family. We got to talking about school, she was in 3rd grade and learning about measurements. I told her I went to school far away in Rhode Island. She couldnt believe that I took the plane to school everyday, and thought that would be quite a bit more fun than taking the bus where "everyone just screams." I explained that I just take the plane sometimes, not everyday, and that I live far away from my family and that what you can do when you are in college.

Marissa was very inquisitive and even though she did not really grasp some things I was saying, she made an obvious effort to keep thinking up questions to ask me about everything. At one point her mom looked over and told me that Marissa was a handful and loved to talk 24/7, but I said that I completely did not mind at all. Then Marissa looked over at her mom and said,

"Mom I feel like Im talking to a friend."

I knew that girl for about 45 minutes, and I became glad that we had gotten that opportunity to talk. She is bright eyed and full of interest and fervor for life.

I asked her what she wanted to be when she grew up, and she matter of factly told me that she was not sure, but maybe a teacher, because her mom was one. I told her that she had a long time to think about it, but whatever she did I could tell she would do well at it.

Just thought I would share that little story. It was sad when we had to get off the plane and I saw Marissa waving to me as we walked to different gates.

Im back into the swing of things. I ended up walking to AAA this morning, and it was a great walk, quite enlivening and energizing. Hopefully I can walk from now on. As the months and the weeks come to a quick end, I hope that I live for the greater purpose and dont get caught with routine and exhaustion. Pray that I do what I need to do, say what I have to say, and make a difference in any way possible.

Later folks.

1 comment:

kailey said...

this is my favorite story